Monday, September 12, 2011

Quick Chocolate Fix

As a new mom, I'm stuck with the same daunting task as every other new mom: losing the baby weight.  I was not one of those lucky few that magically bounced back.  One of the ways I've tried to help keep the weight loss on track is eliminating dessert.  The key word here is "tried". 
The other day I was having a weak moment and a serious craving for chocolate.  There were chocolate chips in the pantry, but I didn't want them just plain out of the bag.  I wasn't that desperate (yet).  We didn't have any butter or eggs, so I was trying to figure out what I could make when I came up with this recipe*:

Chocolate Peanut Bark

12 oz bag of chocolate chips (I use semisweet, but any chocolate chips will work)
1 cup salted peanuts (could use salted almonds, cashews, hazelnuts, pretty much anything)

-Place a piece of wax paper on a cookie sheet, and set aside.
-Slowly melt the chocolate chips.  You can do this either in a double boiler** or in the microwave, which is what I did.  If you use the microwave I would suggest 10 to 20 seconds at a time, stirring between each.  It seems tedious, but you don't want to burn the chocolate.
-Stir peanuts into the melted chocolate.  The salted peanuts create that perfect salty/sweet balance. 
-Immediately pour onto wax paper and spread as flat as possible.
-Refrigerate for about two hours, or until chocolate has hardened.
-Break chocolate into pieces however large or small you would like.
-Store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator.

I would post a picture of the final product on here, but....its all gone.


*I use that term loosely as there are only two ingredients.
**Heat-proof bowl set over a sauce pan with about 1 inch of simmering water.

1 comment: